Traveling around a lot, playing Senior Softball, watching my Grandkids play sports or visiting my children or friends, it made sense to me to get a Concealed Handgun License from the State of Texas. It required a one day class and a shooting exercise designed to test my proficiency with a handgun and then an extensive background check.
Randy Pfaff sent this article to me, the author being unknown, but obviously brilliant and it made sense to me as I read it. It echoes the reasons that I got a CHL
“Why I Carry a Gun
My old grandpa said to me, “Son, there comes a time in every man’s life when he stops bustin’ knuckles and starts bustin’ caps and usually it’s when he becomes too old to take a whoopin’.”
1. I don’t carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.
2. I don’t carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.
3. I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.
4. I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.
5. I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.
6. I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry. I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.
7. I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.
8. I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to Heaven, I want to be a cowboy.
9. I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.
10.I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.
11.I don’t carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.
“Police Protection” is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime; they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.
Personally, I carry a gun because I’m too young to die and too old to take a whoopin’.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.”
If Regular folks like us get involved, we can make a difference!